Tree Cutting Permit FAQs - Tree Cutting Permits

Below are answers to frequently asked questions about the TM66 Forest Products Permit, and about tree and wood cutting in Alberta.

Frequently Asked Questions about Tree Cutting Permits

Purchasing a Tree Cutting Permit

Where can I go to purchase a TM66 permit?

Alberta residents can purchase a TM66 permit in person or online.

In person: You can visit your local Alberta Agriculture and Forestry (AF) office (please note that not all AF offices sell permits). In certain Forest Areas, private vendors also sell TM66 permits. See:

Tree cutting permits ? buy now!

Online: To buy your permit online, go to:

Can I purchase the permit online?

Tree cutting permits ? buy now!

Yes. To buy online, go to:

Can I pick up a permit for someone else?

Yes. You may purchase a permit on someone else's behalf, however they must be present and in possession of the permit when you are cutting the trees associated with that permit.

Can I get more than one permit?

Each individual is entitled to purchase one permit per 30-day period for each type of product.

For example, in one 30-day period a person can possess 3 permits: one for firewood, one for Christmas trees and one for transplants. TM66 permits are only for personal use or non-commercial purposes.

How long is the permit good for?

A TM66 permit is valid for 30 days from the time of purchase.

Locations for Tree Cutting

Where am I allowed to go to harvest the firewood or Christmas tree?

Each Forest Area has designated areas where firewood or Christmas tree cutting is permitted. Maps can be found on our website, or at your local AF office, depending on the Forest Area. If you have further questions about the map, contact the local AF office.

When I'm there, how will I know I'm in the right area?

Maps provided by AF will show the areas designated for TM66 permit cutting. Sometimes there are conditions that will further specify locations, be sure to check with your local AF office with any questions regarding conditions in your particular area.

Do I need a 4-wheel drive vehicle?

It depends on the location and type of roads that are in your specific permit area. Talk to your local AF office for information regarding the area you wish to travel to.

Is there hunting allowed in the area I'm going to?

Go online to to check the hunting regulations for the area you will be going to.

Conditions for Tree Cutting

How much firewood can I harvest?

Up to 5 cubic metres of roundwood timber.

How much is 5 cubic metres?

The number of trees cut depends on tree species and size, but it is approximately:
  • 5 to 7 large coniferous trees (generally trees with needles) OR
  • 4 to 6 deciduous trees (generally trees with leaves) OR
  • 1.5 cubic meters per a level 8-foot half-ton truck box

What kind of firewood can I take?

See above.

Do I have to harvest dead trees or can I cut green trees?

The TM66 Permit entitles individuals to harvest green and/or dead trees, depending on the location and purpose.

Each Forest Area will have specific conditions on what types of timber can be harvested, and you should check with your local AF office before heading out.

Last time I was out I noticed a bunch of birch stacked along the side of a road can I help myself to that birch?

In some instances, stacked timber is left for public consumption. However, it often belongs to someone else, or there are conditions for its use.

If you see timber that is stacked in the bush, check with your local AF office to find out if it is someone else's property. Your local office may also be able to direct you to other sources of stacked timber.

Do I have to cut the tree or is it already cut?

In most cases, the person who obtains the permit is responsible for cutting the tree or firewood.

Transporting Harvested Wood

How far will I have to haul the firewood to my vehicle?

The distance will depend on the type of firewood you are looking for and the location you wish to harvest in. Contact your local AF office for specific information on your permit areas.

Can I use a OHV to haul the firewood out of the bush to my vehicle?

There are some forest land use zones in Alberta which do not permit OHV use within their boundaries. The local AF office can advise you whether your permit cutting area falls within one of these FLUZ's.

All use of OHV's must follow Alberta's Traffic Safety Act and Off Highway Vehicles Regulation.

For more information about the content of this document, contact
This information published to the web on March 7, 2016.
Last Reviewed/Revised on November 29, 2017.